If you believe that sticking to a vegan diet means skimping on sweet indulgences, think again! Vegan desserts have come a long way, with creative twists on classics and new delights bound to make everyone — not just the vegans — reach for a second serving. Whether you’re a full-time plant-based eater, looking for healthier dessert options, or just curious about vegan treats, these five vegan desserts are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising on taste.
1. Decadent Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Why Try It: This creamy mousse swaps out dairy without losing any of the richness and incorporates heart-healthy avocados.
- The Twist: Ripe avocados give this dessert a silky texture, while cocoa powder adds a deep chocolate flavor.
- How-To: Blend ripe avocados, cocoa powder, your favorite sweetener, a touch of vanilla, and plant-based milk for a simple but divine treat.
2. Classic Vegan Apple Crisp
- Why Try It: This timeless dessert is as comforting as it is delicious, sporting a crispy, golden topping over succulent spiced apples.
- The Twist: Oats and almond flour make for a perfectly crunchy and gluten-free topping.
- How-To: Layer slices of tart apples with cinnamon and nutmeg, top with a mixture of oats, almond flour, and vegan butter, then bake until golden brown.
- Why Try It: These no-bake bites offer a zesty lemon flavor paired with creamy cashew cheese that’s sure to refresh your palate.
- The Twist: The crust is made from dates and nuts, providing a healthier, whole-food base.
- How-To: Process nuts and dates for the crust, press into molds, and top with a blend of soaked cashews, coconut cream, lemon juice, and maple syrup for the ‘cheese’ layer.
4. Raw Vegan Brownies with Almond Butter Frosting
- Why Try It: Enjoy the rich flavors of brownies sans baking, keeping all the nutrients (and deliciousness) intact.
- The Twist: The frosting made with almond butter adds a nutty depth that’s blissfully satisfying.
- How-To: Combine processed dates, nuts, and cocoa powder for the base, and spread a mix of almond butter, coconut oil, and powdered sugar on top.
5. Fluffy Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
- Why Try It: It’s a cool and creamy treat perfect for hotter days or when you crave a scoop (or two) of ice cream.
- The Twist: No dairy or ice cream maker needed — a high-speed blender can help achieve the perfect consistency with frozen coconut milk.
- How-To: Freeze coconut milk in ice cube trays, blend with sweetener, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt until smooth, then freeze until set.
Remember, going vegan doesn’t mean you have to give up on desserts. With these scrumptious plant-based alternatives, you can have your cake (or mousse, crisp, cheesecake, brownies, and ice cream) and eat it too. Give these desserts a try, and you just might find yourself preferring the vegan versions over their traditional counterparts!